Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Poetry Challenge: Day 6

Good evening!

I had another long play rehearsal today and I'm just about beat...

In the Art Club at the school, we are folding paper cranes to raise money for earthquake relief in Japan. You can find out more info here.

Coincidentally, my poem of the day was inspired by the simple yet elegant paper birds that have so captivated my attention:


Paper Crane

Paper Crane, I will write peace on your wings
and you will fly all over the world.

    -Sadako Sasaki


It has a humble beginning
for such a noble creature-

A single sheet of paper entrusted to
patient hands whose nimble fingers

form and fold and crease it;
like the transformation

from silkworm to moth,
    a ritual most mesmerizing...

now not a piece of paper, but a bird,
    with peace written on its wings.




    

~Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment