Monday, April 11, 2011

Poetry Challenge: Day 10

Sorry for not posting yesterday, it was late and I was exhausted!
Anyway, yesterday I went out to the Beaver Pond behind my house and ended up seeing a flying squirrel!
It was so cute, and its eyes were sooo big! See for yourself:


And now the poem inspired by this darling little creature:

Flying Squirrel

The creature,
quiet and still, staring
with black, round eyes
that hold my eager
gaze,
shifts down the decaying
bark of the dead tree,
just an inch-
No more.
Cautious,
    curious.
Tiny claws grip the
dead wood,
fighting
the urge to remain still
yet
intent on fleeing
from his lofty position...
And I wonder wha-
There! He goes -
limbs spread
gliding,
    flying,
and into the dead leaves,
scampering up a pine,
out of sight.
Quick
quiet
creature.

~Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment