Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Poetry Challenge: Day 13

This evening I went to a poetry reading at my library, and I read Day 2's poem, This Poem Does Not Exist, and a favorite of mine by Edna St. Vincent Millay which I will share with you tomorrow. :) I had a wonderful time (there was cheesecake!) and heard a few really great poems! One poem that was read during the evening was a poem by Ezra Pound which I just loved!

And the Days Are not Full Enough

And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
       Not shaking the grass

Anyway, I loved it, it sort of puts things into perspective...
And now here is today's poem:

Doubt  

It starts, a
hairline crack that
runs up and down
your consciousness,
barley noticeable,
but there, an
infatigable notion.
You push it away
again, and again
until it breaks,
opens up beneath you
and you are falling-
Reality a hungry mouth
opening wide,
ready to swallow you
whole.

I just realized these two poems are sort of downers...I'll try to write a happy one tomorrow!

Oh! and tomorrow is 'Poem in your Pocket day'! Carry your favorite poem with you all day and share with friends!

~Maya

2 comments:

  1. If only April's Poetry Month could continue longer than 30 days !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! We should celebrate poetry all year long!

    ReplyDelete